Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Getting Ready for the Year

These next few weeks is the final push before starting the school year. I remember when I first started out, lo those eleven years ago, I didn't put much effort into preparing. I was teaching little bitties. It wasn't that hard to me. Now, though, I have older kids and it's me who's having to keep up!

Algebra 2 is keeping me on my toes. I've always been pretty good in math, went all the way through calculus. But it's been a long, long time. I have to constantly refresh.

Pre-algebra is not that hard, but it is a hard subject for the student. Yeah, that makes it harder.

The younger maths aren't hard, per say, but they do require me to be familiar with the material, explain it to them and then go over the problems. That takes time.

We have a pretty clear math schedule. Or should I say 'rotation'? I sit in one spot and the kids rotate to me. It takes some practice.

So these next few weeks, I have to finish out the older kids' syllabus for history, as well as one for American Lit. I'm having some trouble with it because it's important to me to have some continuity and flow to the year. So, I'm going through the books and curriculum and trying to co-ordinate.

The youngers need basics like school supplies, workbooks, etc. I already have all of their books. Except for history... I write their unit studies. This year we're going to "travel" around the world. We will go to every continent and spend a few weeks learning about the history, geography, religion and art of each one. I have this outlined, but I really, really need to sit down and actually write the worksheets. *sigh* Not hard, just time consuming.

I am very glad that I don't have to work out a science curriculum. That's my sister's job. I teach my nephew history; she teaches my kids science. It works beautifully. I make history real and exciting and she has them cut up animals and do experiments. Everyone is happy. If you have the opportunity to do this with someone, JUMP at the chance. It will make your life so much easier. Just make sure that the person teaching your kids is passionate about their subject. If they're not, your kids will be bored out of their minds.

The important thing that I've done and gotten out of the way is to write out my goals for the year. These may be broad- "For Maggie to be conversational in American Literature."- to specific- "For Brody to be proficient at reciting his multiplication tables by Christmas break." They are thoughtful and written down somewhere. It helps to channel this beginning of the year excitement. Otherwise, your school year turns into a trip to the grocery store with no list: I know there was something else we needed, but I can't remember what it was...


2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm finally caught up on both blogs. Whew! Love you my friend and miss you bunches! When do you want to come over (or me there)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog. I love how much you have taught me, a former public school teacher turned retail manager, about education and the journey of learning. You opened my eyes to the world of homeschooling and made it real to me.

    ReplyDelete