Sunday, September 30, 2012

Slowing Down

My friend Sophia made the comment the other day that sometimes she's so busy homeschooling that she's never home to homeschool. For the uninitiated that makes zero sense, but for others that statement is met with an immediate head nod and maybe a heavy sigh.

Homeschooling isn't just about worksheets and reading. There are many facets to it. For moms of little ones, there are the weekly play-dates, Children's Theater and field trips. For olders, the options are endless. And exhausting. Co-op, driver's ed, dance class, music lessons, tutoring sessions, Key Club, sports, and on and on and on...

Last year I almost drove myself into the ground. Literally. I was putting about 500-600 miles per WEEK on my van. No joke. Monday: music lessons. Tuesday: Biology. Wednesday: church. Thursday: co-op for the youngers. Friday: Biology lab. Saturday: football. Sunday: church. Start over. We never had two consecutive days at home to just school.

I learned something though. I learned that it can be done. We finished school books. We accomplished our goals. But it wore me out and almost broke the bank when gas prices skyrocketed.

This year we're trying something different. Mondays are crazy full. We have English Co-op, Anatomy class, piano and ballet, all in the same day. But then Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are at home. Friday we have the youngers' co-op. One tank of gas per week. Oh yeah.

It is hard to decide what activities to do and what not to do. I wish I could whip out my handy dandy formula that tells you exactly how to find the right balance. Heck, I wish I had a formula like that. But it's not like that. Homeschooling is, many times, trial and error. You hardly ever get it right the first time. Or the second.

I have to remember (or be reminded by my sweet husband) that I don't have to do what others expect of me, just what is best for our kids. And I have to THINK. Be deliberate and thoughtful about what we do. Busyness for busyness' sake is exhausting and counterproductive. If in doubt, slow down.






No comments:

Post a Comment