Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School

The first official day of school is in the books.

There was one slight meltdown, not by me. I was impatient with the meltdown-er and Chris stepped in to take care of things. I always forget how beautiful that looks, to see their father love on them. I was and am grateful.

It was also an abbreviated schedule since neither of our co-ops have started yet. We finished by lunch. Co-op will add another hour or two to the day.

Changes made that have had an immediate impact:
1. No texting - AT ALL during school. I don't know why I was so lenient last year.

2. No videos, movies, Netflix, etc during the week. I feel punished too, but they can't use these things as a crutch anymore. I see imagination at work already.

3. Chores begin first thing after breakfast. By the end of the school day, they don't want to work; they want to veg.

4. A written schedule was handed out to each child first thing. It cut down on the number of times I was asked, "Now what do I do?" My sanity told me 'Thank you'.

5. Teaching Textbooks Math. There are no words for how lovely it was today. No words. I hope it continues to be as great as I think it will be.

So, first day done. Today we all did math, reading, writing/grammar, Bible. Maggie and Ty had their first Anatomy class and loved it! When the youngers' co-op starts we will add science, history, geography, missions and current events. The olders' class will be college prep writing and should be very challenging. They also have their electives.

I felt a bit like holding my breath before jumping in this morning. This year is so different from previous years. As I get accustomed to the idea of everything though, I'm getting excited. This year will stretch all of us, but it will also grow us the most. That's something I definitely look forward to with excitement.










No comments:

Post a Comment